P.S. 2: Properties of Matter
- Find the mass and volume of substances and calculate and compare their densities.
- Describe the properties of the state of matter (solid, liquid, and gas).
- Distinguish between physical (i.e., shape, density, solubility, odor, melting point, boiling point, and color) and chemical (i.e., acidity, basicity, combustibility, and reactivity) properties.
- Describe the particle theory of matter.
- Describe how to determine whether a substance is an element, compound, or mixture.
- Analyze the pH of a solution and classify it as acidic, basic, or neutral.
- Design an investigation to determine whether a substance is an element, compound, or mixture.