P.S. 5: Nuclear Reactions and Radioactivity
- Describe in simple terms, the processes that release nuclear energy (i.e. nuclear fission and nuclear fusion). Create a simple diagram to summarize, compare and contrast these two types of nuclear energy.
- Compare and contrast physical, chemical, and nuclear changes.
- Design an investigation that illustrates physical and chemical changes.
- Given chemical formulas, write and balance simple chemical equations.
- Analyze experimental data to determine whether it suppots the Law of Conservation of Mass.
- Recognize that some types of chemical reactions require continuous input of energy (endothermic) and others release energy (exothermic).
- Evaluate the positive and negative effects of using nuclear energy.